Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Event/Service Analysis

Cordy Albanese
Dr. Ellis
ENG-101
19 February 2020
Event/Service Analysis Blog
As I continue my service learning with the Bridges Tutoring Program, I learn more and more about myself and others each week. As I keep the Jesuit tradition in mind at my visits, I am finding the connections with others to be more enriching each session. I am finding the importance of my service-learning and how I am making a difference in these kids' lives. I look forward to my time spent with them and know that with each session our bond is growing stronger whether it is over learning new things about each other or them trusting me to help them or listen to what they have to say. I originally thought that the program would just be solely based on academics and that I would not gain any real relationships with the kids and staff of the program as well but in time I have realized that to be untrue. If anything the program is more about building relationships within the community while guiding the children academically towards a successful future. As I take our discussions from class into consideration, I begin to think more critically about my role in the Bridges Tutoring Program as well as the community. We have talked about how important it is to live life to the best extent possible while helping others do the same and I think my service-learning is granting me these opportunities. I can do my part in the world of offering up my knowledge and experience to younger generations so they will grow and do the same creating a cycle of service and kindness for the world. It is a good feeling to know at such a young age I am already doing something good for others and creating a positive environment for my younger peers. I hope to continue this service and grow even more throughout the rest of this semester.
 With my tutoring program in mind as well as the diverse kids I get to encounter I can relate this to the poem “Tableau” by Countee Cullen. This poem is about racial differences and how people view white and black people's relationships. As I think about the kids I tutor and the majority of them being African American this poem makes me think about past racial segregation and even racism that still exists today and how important it is that we can live freely and walk with one another now. I am so proud to be a part of a multi-cultural community and to be able to work with the community without it being frowned upon as it is in the poem. 
The poem “Love After Love” by Derek Walcott reminds me of how important self-love is and what it means to love yourself before you can love anybody else. It can be hard to create bonds with others when you are unable to have those bonds with yourself and have an understanding of what it means to care for yourself. As I think about my peers and how I can better my relationships with them and the community by first understanding what my role is to myself and how I can benefit from it while also benefitting them. The line “Sit. Feast on your life.” brings meaning into service-learning and what it means to have a purpose in your life by investing in yourself. If we can take a moment to reflect on our self-worth and what it means to love, then we will be able to share this with other people and grant ourselves the ultimate satisfaction of meaningful relationships. These poems spoke to me what it means to not just be human but a good one and recognizing the importance of our roles as good ones and how to encourage that amongst others which is what I hope to continue doing at Bridges and in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment