Sunday, February 2, 2020

Date and Time Post #2


This semester I am choosing to do service at Turnbridge school. I chose this path of service because I love working with children and making a difference. I am working towards being a speech-language pathologist, which is geared towards helping people. This career path will help me to fulfill those goals of mine, as well as provide me with the platform to reach children, and any other demographic. I am hoping to work with pediatrics as I have always felt specifically drawn to kids. Working at Tunbridge school will be a great addition to the experience that I would love to have in my belt. Aside from experience, being able to do something which can potentially make a difference in people's lives will significantly enrich my time here at Loyola. I have been looking to get more involved with CCSJ, yet I have not had the chance to look much into it as I had originally hoped. I was pleasantly surprised to have service-learning in our class. It provides all of us, students, with the opportunity and appropriate outlets to potentially do something important and hopefully feel more immersed in this special community. In the final third of Date and Time by Phil Kaye, he continues to highlight the struggles he has faced, as well as the positives. As I read of his deepest struggles and heartbreaks, I also keep in mind that by him writing about this, he has gotten through those dark times. Or, even if he is not fully through it, he is aware of his pain and is able to reflect on those moments. This, in the end, will hopefully lead to improvement on himself as a human being. At this point in the book, Kaye seems to have a decent understanding of who he is as a person and how he feels. This amount of self- awareness would have been achieved through self-reflection and open-mindedness. Kaye discusses a feeling, which many people probably feel, yet refuse to admit—loneliness. Of course, some feel this to different extents, however, it can be mutually agreed upon that it is a terrible way to feel. Something that I would love to achieve in doing service is if I can make one person’s day a little bit better. In reading Kaye’s work, it is obvious that if someone reached out to him and was kinder than usual, it probably would have gone a long way for his mental state. So, if I can be as kind as possible to everyone I come across, not just in service, but in my everyday life, maybe I can help to make that difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment