Sunday, February 2, 2020

Date and Time post #2

This semester along with doing service learning at Tunbridge, I also am in a special education school for my special education class. In this school I work with a wide range of students, students of different ages and abilities. Though these students learn in different ways that what most people think of, they are still typical students. In the classrooms I am there to observe the teacher and how they teach their students. I have always thought of myself as open minded, and while I can be stubborn at times, I always try to do what's best for others. Going into this school has, and will continue to stretch my mind even further. There are ways that the students are being taught that I would never have thought to even try. When people hear the phase special needs, or special education, they tend to have a specific picture in their mind of what the student looks like and is able to do. This school takes those thoughts and completely throws it away. This school is based around the arts and the students use the arts as an outlet 
In the story Date and Time Kaye is different than his classmates and is bullied for those differences. As a teenager Kaye turns to poetry as his outlet to get away from the bullies and to make sense of his childhood. In the section labeled "Middle" Kaye has a poem about loneliness at this point in his life he didn't really have many friends and he said that when he died the only thing he knew he wanted to be buried with was his scarab beetle. Throughout the story Kaye hints that he is depressed and possibly thinking about death.  
The School that I am in creates an inclusive environment so that every student is happy to come to school. No student should be bullied for something that they cannot change, or even bullied at all. It is important that every feels included as a child because kids tend to get meaner the older they become. Last week I was observing a group of students in movement class. One of the students seemed to be very anxious and self conscious about me sitting there watching. In the hopes to make her feel slightly less self conscious, I joined in and tried to learn the dance routine that they were working on. I am not a good dancer and I think that made her feel a bit better and she started participating again.  
In the story Kaye is bullied for being thin and small, something that he could not change overnight. He is made feel extremely self conscious by someone who used to be his friend. No one came to his aid or tried to make him feel better in any way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment