Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Blog 3

Today I start my service learning at Tunbridge Charter School. I am writing this before I go, so again I am going to instead talk about my time in my field work at Baltimore Lab School. As I go week after week the students have become more and more comfortable with me. With all the stress of college it's nice to see their smiling faces once a week and remember that I can get through it and get it all done. They remind me how much easier and simpler things used to be. Today everything feels like a challenge, or at least we make it a challenge. The students that I work with teach me every time I go that all of the things that I am assigned I am able to get done, and that sometimes all you need is a little help.
I am writing this part after my first visit at Tunbridge. The school made me realize that these students are very similar to the ones I work with at the Lab School. I am in a Kindergarten classroom and when I walked in all of their little faces turned to me and they were so excited to see a new face in their classroom. The teacher was also extremely welcoming. This experience will definitely be mutually beneficial as I am able to help her and she answers my questions about being a teacher. I am extremely lucky that I will have so much exposure to classrooms before I become a teacher myself.
When I read the poem "My Father is a Simple Man" it made me think of the students that I work with. In the poem the authors father only has a sixth grade education yet he doesn't seem to have any worries. He says that his sone will be healthy as long as he eats oranges. He sees the world differently than most people these days. He believes that the key to being healthy is just eating oranges. he believes that just like the orange trees we too will come back time and time again.
The kids that I work with have the same innocence as the little boy from the poem "My Papa's Waltz".

No comments:

Post a Comment