Sunday, February 2, 2020

Service Analysis

Cordy Albanese
Dr. Ellis
EN-101-07
3 February 2020
Service Analysis Blog Post
            This past week on Wednesday I began my service work with the Bridges Tutoring Program and worked with children ages middle through high school from 3:30-5:30pm. This program is implemented to help grow a younger student’s academic ability and encourage community relationships. We began with fun name introductions and games before beginning our study time together. I found Bridges to be the perfect fit for me because of the positive atmosphere and great attitude the staff and kids hold for the program. I really enjoyed becoming a part of their community and offering up what knowledge I have to give. 
            Loyola is centered around community and that is a prominent aspect to our Jesuit education and beliefs. After meeting with CCSJ and attending a prep session my eyes were opened to the true importance of community and service-learning. Erin Lynch, who is the Student Service-Learning Intern, talked to me about the different options of service-learning and how Baltimore is in need of more community engagement and acceptance. I wanted to engage myself in a community of younger peers because I am an Elementary Education major. The incredible opportunities that come with service learning are never-ending. Just after one session, I found myself learning more about diversity and the Baltimore community. Through the CCSJ session, I was informed on the history of Baltimore and York Road which helped broaden my knowledge and understanding of community and previous issues of segregation within our very own city. I am excited to keep attending the sessions and furthering my knowledge and experience with the Bridges community.
            As I keep my service analysis in mind, Phil Kaye’s last section of Date and Time continues to speak to my thoughts of human development and what it means to go through changes. A couple of poems throughout his last third speak to me in relation to these topics. The first poem is Loneliness. Although very short, this poem speaks so deeply on the scary topic of death and feeling alone. Kaye states a short sentence of the uncertainty of death and who will be there on his last day. This made me think strongly about my life and how important it is to connect and surround yourself with people like the community I am working with so you can be certain that you will not end up lonely or dying a lonely death. 
            The next poem that felt powerful to me in terms of change and personal growth is Song for the Dirt. Kaye ends with this poem and it is the strongest ending I think he could have come up with. It talks about flowers and how they rise again and never look back which is what Kaye inspires to do through his hardships in life. I find this inspiring and influential to include and it shows how Kaye has grown throughout his life and is taking his power back after the things he has been through. I think all humans can take something away from this poem and what it means to fall and still be able to rise again someday. This makes me think of the peers I’m tutoring and even myself, I want to help others rise above the things they have been through and take what I need from others to do the same.
            Phil Kaye’s book Date and Time influenced the way I think about my life and the choices I decide to make. Everyone goes through difficult times and faces challenges but the way you choose to react to these challenges is what makes you who you are. I am hoping the challenges I face and the opportunities I am given through things like service learning will strengthen me to be my best self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment