Sunday, March 8, 2020

Blog 4

I have been doing my service learning at Bridges, and so far it has been going great! The kids are so nice and really make an effort to spend time and get to know me better every week. At this point they are very comfortable with asking for my help and feel that they can talk to me about anything, whether it is academic or personal. My experience so far has been different from what I had been expecting prior to my first visit. I didn't know what to expect as far as the space and the students that attend. I wasn't sure if this was strictly a tutoring center or if this was an afterschool-care place where we help students with their homework. I have come to realize that it is both, which is amazing. I was also nervous about not being able to relate to the students that I would be helping, therfore preventing a strong relationship with them. After getting to know them I realized that there are things that I can relate to with them and some things I can't, which is fine.
When I was reading Frankenstein, it really made me think about how people percive others who are different then they are because either they don't look the same or they don't act the same or because they are not from the same place. 
This theme really stuck out to me. I am an elementary education major and I don't know where I would like to teach after I graduate. In just about all of my education classes we talk about classroom diversity and how some teachers percieve certain students because of their differences. Even in my service learning I am trying to be aware of how I percieve people and try to not to judge people based on how they differ from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment